Christmas Program and Cookies -You are invited to our Children’s Christmas program. Please bring a plate of Christmas Cookies to share. The program will be on Saturday, December 16 at 6:30 p.m. These will be shared during the Refreshment time following the program.
Christmas Eve Candle Light Service will be held in the sanctuary at 6:00 p.m. Join us as we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior.
Distinctively Healthy Church Event – What might happen if we celebrate and capitalize on the distinctiveness of our congregations and surrounding communities? How does a congregation learn to be its best self? You are invited to a Connections Project learning event focused on helping you find unique yet practical ideas that can bring health and growth to your church. This event is on Saturday, January 13, 8:30 to 3:30 in Des Moines. For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
There is a local organization AIRA – Ames Interfaith Refugee Alliance. This is an interfaith and community organization to encourage Ames to be a welcoming community for refugees. They focus on networking with service providers, address community concerns, contact national leaders about funds, and hope in the future to sponsor refugees to come to Ames. Melody F. receives updates from this committee. Anyone who has questions or interest in learning more about this group, please contact Melody Franje.
The Simple Preacher Blog – Pastor Kelly Vander Woude is currently doing a study on the Psalms in his weekly blog called The Simple Preacher. You are invited to visit the blog each week or sign up on his blog page to receive an email update every time there is a new post. There will also be a paper copy each week on the back table of the latest blog.
All are welcome to participate in any of our small group opportunities. If you would like to join us or are interested in learning more about one of these groups please contact us at email@example.com
Many of our small groups are on Summer break. Check back in the Fall for additional small group opportunities.
- UFO small group will meets once a month. You are invited to bring your unfinished objects and join us for food, fellowship and devotions.
- 5:59ers –Sunday Evening Bible Study: Ecclesiastes is one of the most enigmatic books in the Old Testament. It is very ancient, over 2000 years old, and yet the issues it raises are surprisingly modern. Rev. Tom Niehof will be leading a study of this most intriguing book. We meet in the Fellowship Hall. All are welcome.
- Wednesday Night Small Group – This group meets at the Sterenberg home on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays at 8:00 p.m. for a time of fellowship and discussion based on various Bible studies. For more information contact Jane Sterenberg. All are invited to join us.
- Roots – The first Wednesday of each month the youth will serve at Bickford Assisted Living at 6:30 p.m. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th Wednesdays will include Bible study and fun activities at the church from 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Women’s Bible Study – The women of the church are invited to join us for a Bible Study on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at Christina Helfer’s home. Fellowship from 7:15 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. study starts at 7:30 p.m. We will be studying the book of Psalms followed by discussion.
- Young Builder’s Club – This program meets every 2nd and 4th Wednesday, from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. Young Builders Club is for children Kindergarten thru 5th grades. During our Young Builders Club we will begin with a Bible lesson, then an activity, and end with a snack. Come join us for a great time! If you have any questions please email Jeff and Kristy Kopaska.
Areopagus College Student Ministries
- You can contact Tyler Helfers – Areopagus Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spring semester studies and activities will begin January 15.
- A Christmas party will be held Thursday evening, December 7. For more information contact Tyler Helfers.
Worship & Classes
Scripture Preview –
December 17, 2017
We are taking a break from the Story to present the Hope Advent Series
Third Sunday of Advent
Scripture: Luke 1:46-56
Rev. Kelly Vander Woude
Children and Worship – Children and Worship is a program developed for children to worship God in their own worship center and see and hear Bible stories with visuals that they can then use themselves. The time we spend in the worship center is a time of worship, not a social time or play time. At Trinity we use this program for worship with children ages three through second grade. Children and Worship meets during our worship service. Our children experience worship in the same order as in the sanctuary: we approach God in reverence, hear His Word proclaimed, respond in praise, and go forth in peace and love to serve in God’s name. Bible stories are presented using wooden figures and felt pieces that allow children to see as well as to hear the Word of God.
Our youth and adult Sunday School classes are at 11:00 a.m.
Sunday School Curriculum – The Story is a chronological Bible that reads like a novel. Our Sunday School classes will be using the material and everyone from pre-school to adults (excluding High School) will be using age appropriate books to better understand God’s word. Pastor Kelly will be preaching scripture that corresponds with the chapters in The Story. Families are asked to read each chapter in preparation for that Sunday.
High School Students – The topic of the high school Sunday School class for 2017-18 is “Jesus in the Gospels.” The high school Sunday School class has a four-year curriculum. Future topics will be: “Acts and Epistles” (2018-2019), “What We Believe and How We Live” (2019-2020), and “The Old Testament” (2020-21).